Sunday, April 25, 2010

Blah Lieutenant: Port of Call New Orleans [2009]


A bunch of unlikable characters do a bunch of unlikable things - and I could care less.

I had high hopes - didn't come in thinking it was going to suck or anything - just wanted to see a good movie - but I can't say I thought it was all that good. I'm sure that for some people it's worth the hype - and that's great for them - and I won't ever try and take that away from them - but it just didn't click with me.

I couldn't tell if Nic Cage was going for an accent at times because his voice got really nasal at times - and at others times he sounded like Nic Cage. Eva Mendes was kind of okay - her argument in the one scene seemed like she was blatantly "acting" - not arguing which I thought was a shame. The plot was so-so - he kept getting over his head - and you thought "this'll be fun watching him get out of this" - then it unfolded and I thought "well, that wasn't as fun as it led me up to hoping". The drugs stuff was too Looney Tunes for me - I liked the trippy Fear & Loathing In Las Vegas - but this just came off as annoying - plus the characters didn't have the charisma to pull this off. I'm giving it a 2 out of 5.

[directed by Werner Herzog]

No comments:

Post a Comment