Sunday, April 4, 2010

Brick & Mortar Stores Become Even More Useless

So, that was a big mission failure on my Saturday goal of finding the Troll/Troll 2 double feature DVD in order to enjoy the corniness of Troll 2. The alarming thing I’ve found though while I was searching was how so many of the usual suspects for finding DVD’s have slashed their DVD collections down to almost nothing.

Borders – was down to half of their previous stock. Best Buy – down to maybe a third of their previous stock (they didn’t even have genre sections). Even Blockbuster had just a couple rows of new movies for sale.

Wal-Mart – where I knew I saw this double feature in the cheap-bin - still had a ton of DVD’s – but their collection is more of the same new films. If I ever wanted to pick up a $5 copy of Old School – I know where to go.

The one place that I know always had it – was Circuit City – but they mismanaged themselves out of business. I remember seeing it there all the time – and I would laugh because I never thought I would actually want a copy. I can't believe I'm missing the day of the overpriced Sunset Video, Tower Records and other JUST CD/DVD stores.

I got the “we can order it” comment from anyone who’d ask if I was finding what I was looking for – but I can order it myself. It’s called Amazon – they are the bomb. Despite my love for Amazon – it doesn’t do me much good to order it – if I want to watch it now.

I won’t blame Blu-Ray – as it’s still growing in popularity – and the store’s collection of those still pale in comparison to the now meager collections of DVD. I will one day blame Blu-Ray for the crappy transfers on films that really don’t need the “treatment” – like Troll 2.

So, my fellow reader(s) – have you been noticing the “encouragement” from the actual brick-and-mortar stores to use the internets for all your movie purchasing needs?

3 comments:

  1. I've never trusted a brick-and-mortar to order anything. I can remember trying to order albums that I could've easily ordered myself, yet they couldn't. Had I not had gift cards to use, I would've.

    Luckily, I have a number of awesome used CD/DVD places that frequently run great specials. "Buy 3 $3.99 DVDs and get the 4th free" type stuff. Which is where I believe I found my copy of Troll/Troll 2.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's ridiculous going into stores these days and being asked "Did you find everything okay?" then when you tell them point blank they decide to use the magic at only their disposal to "order it"... for a small fee and twice the price than it would be if you just did a little looking... but only if dial up modems weren't so slow...

    Anyway - used book/movie/music stores all the way if I'm heading out to a store for media - they usually have the best deals and interesting out of print/or distributor/warehouse clean-out specials that make it worth while

    Thanks for the comment spree - very much appreciated

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ha! Thanks for writing so much. I've just been picking a year and scrolling down the entries for movies I've seen.

    ReplyDelete