Sunday, March 7, 2010

Oscar Party


Well, I hate to be a grouch - but I've been so disenchanted with the Hollywood Awards ever since I realized how meaningless they all are to my movie watching. With all the hoopla about who's going to win - it seems that everyone's picking the same movies year after year. I would like to see more creativity rewarded and less "we owe this guy for his body of work" - more foreign films get serious considerations - and less Hollywooded up films made to win awards.

Mostly I want people to realize that no matter who wins - it shouldn't affect what you find entertaining in your movie watching experience. If Avatar wins - there's no quantifiable data that can point to and say it's factually a better film than An Education, The Hurt Locker, Up in the Air, Precious, Up, A Serious Man, Inglorious Basterds, The Blind Side or District 9. If you find that you didn't care for any of the films that won anything - and you preferred Transformers 2 - great - film is a subjective medium.

And if the film you love and rooting for loses - it doesn't mean you have to hate the winner. This world isn't as black and white as some people want you to believe - you should enjoy being yourself and thinking for yourself. You can truly like both Avatar and The Hurt Locker - though a trend on message boards and public review forums is to pick a camp and never budge.

Anyway, I'll probably not watch the awards - but I think The Hurt Locker will probably take home the bacon for picture and directing. It's a solid film - not as broad and mass appealing as Avatar or even my favorite of the year (for the record it was Up In The Air) - but a real interesting character study.

Cheers!

No comments:

Post a Comment