Wednesday, February 10, 2010

Talk to Her [2002]


Talk to Her [2002, directed by Pedro Almodovar]


Two men bond over their comatose loves.


I’m not exactly sure how to describe this film. It’s mesmerizing – sad and yet strangely beautiful. It’s dark and surreal – yet at times humorous. I’ve seen Volver also by Almodovar – it’s also quite dark yet humorous – not as surreal - but after watching Talk to Me – I really want to see more. It’s thought provoking and I get the feeling that this film will stick with me for quite a while – and I would have to recommend it to people who are looking for a similar experience in films. Films like this that push boundaries make me thankful for markets (both foreign and independent) – as I can’t see this being made in conventional Hollywood.


I have to note that the whole incredible shrinking man sexual fantasy scene will go down as something that I will never forget.


5 out of 5

2 comments:

  1. Women on the Verge of a Nervous Breakdown remains my favourite Almodóvar movie, but I loved All About My Mother and Talk To Her as well.

    ReplyDelete
  2. TALK TO HER is actually one of my all-time favorite films, and stands as the best of its year (2002). I caught it at my first full Toronto International Film Festival and have loved Almodovar's work ever since!

    Count me as one who says your next get should be ALL ABOUT MY MOTHER, and then track down TIE ME UP, TIE ME DOWN.

    ReplyDelete