Thursday, February 11, 2010

5 movies from my youth that still do it for me

Surprisingly – I didn’t watch many movies when I was little. I sometimes wonder if that was the reason why I never really cared for the 80’s like many people around me did. I grew up watching public broadcasting – and the few movies that would play over the networks – but spent a lot of my time playing with action figures, watching camp 60’s Batman in the basement and teasing my little brother. There were certain movies that I remember, have fond memories of – and still hold in higher regard today. So, here’s the list.



The Empire Strikes Back [1980, directed by Irvin Kershner]


I was a crazy Star Wars fan when I was little – if I could I would watch it morning noon and night – and I’m betting my parents stopped me from doing so on several occasions. Though it wasn’t my favorite of the three films back then – it’s certainly my favorite now.


Labyrinth [1986, Jim Henson]


This was a gateway drug film that put David Bowie on my radar – if I only knew back then how much I would come to further appreciate the film for not only the puppets and mystical magic fun of the Jim Henson workshop – I would’ve been looking into music much sooner than I did.



The Muppet Movie [1979, directed by James Frawley]


A classic epic road film – that I can appreciate now more for the meaning behind some of the catchy tunes and the cameo appearances of people who I didn’t know of in my younger days like Steve Martin, Richard Pryor, Mel Brooks, Elliott Gould, Madeline Kahn, Bob Hope and Orson Welles.


Pee Wee’s Big Adventure [1985, directed by Tim Burton]


Another epic road film that I never grew out of – though many of my classmates turned on Pee Wee after the whole theater incident – and it became another reason why I was teased – but I loved the movie never-the-less. Even today - I'm telling people to look for their missing items in the basement of the Alamo.


Willy Wonka & The Chocolate Factory [1971, directed by Mel Stuart]


I remember sitting with my nose to the television watching the very end of this film – Gene Wilder will always be Willy Wonka – sure Tim Burton’s may be more true to the book – but I think it’s not as disturbing as the original adaptation – all soft and nice candy – then bugs crawling out of eye sockets and Gene Wilder’s “the rowers kept on rowing... never knowing which way they are going...”

No comments:

Post a Comment