Friday, February 5, 2010

Really, Nero? That's the plan?


After checking out the Oscar nominations – I go and check out the inevitable snubs list on Yahoo! – and I see a few pretty good choices – but smack dab in the midst of it there’s a huge nod to Star Trek – which confounds me to no end.


Sure, it’s a fun film – but really?


The more I think back about the film – the more I get frustrated with one aspect of it – the bad guy – Nero. I’ll make no bones about my dislike for Eric Bana – who I think is a talentless hack – but it’s his character and the good guy’s reaction to his plan that gets me the most.


If you haven’t seen it – and want to see it – here’s where you should stop. If you catch yourself getting a little upset because you love the film so much that criticism about it gets you worked up – here’s where you stop – as I’m not going to pull any punches.


Nero’s plan is to destroy the planets of the Vulcan’s and the Human’s – for their lack of reaction to prevent the destruction of his home world. That’s fine. If that’s what he wants to do – more power to him. My problem revolves around his method – the giant hanging drill. The good guys eventually stop him by shooting the drill with torpedoes – but not before they fail at it and Nero succeeds at destroying the Vulcan planet. WHY didn’t they shoot torpedoes at it THE FIRST TIME?


Seems like the smartest thing to do – and the first thing that pops into my mind! No! They needed to have a pointless action scene that revolves around dressing up in special suits and shooting themselves at it in order to turn it off or explode it or something that’s far too complicated and dangerous – compared to SHOOTING THE FUCKING THING WITH TORPEDOES!


Lest we forget – that Nero is waiting for 20 years to fulfill this little plan by waiting at a wormhole for Spock to show up through the same wormhole. As far as he knows – Spock may have shot out of the thing 20 years BEFORE the time he ends up in when he goes through the wormhole – isn’t that how wormholes work? You never know where you’ll end up? He could’ve destroyed the planets – and THEN waited – just in case. BUT NO! He waits – and waits – and waits – and waits – like a fucking tool.


Nero is a dumbass – and a complete waste. And that’s why I think there’s no way in hell that Star Trek can be considered one of the top 10 films of the year – or nominated for anything other than special effects awards.

1 comment:

  1. Eric Bana started his career as a comic on Australian TV. As a comic he was a talentless hack as well.

    ReplyDelete