Sunday, August 28, 2011

Oh nevermind...

I was finally made aware that the 20th anniversary box sets of Nirvana’s Nevermind were available for pre-order – not that I was eagerly waiting – just wondered what new material would be released. I’m disappointed to say the least - especially in the 5-disc set.

The 2-disc you get the remastered album – the b-sides – and demo recordings of the album for less than $25. Which is a fairly solid deal considering...

In the 5-disc set you get the 2-disc set – plus a different mastering of the album – a live concert CD and on DVD – along with a 90-page booklet for only $110 more! That’s right – for 2 more CD’s – a DVD – and a book - $110!!

It’s not like there’s NEW music – which I’m suspicious that they are holding out on. Where are the studio versions of Spank Thru and Talk to Me? Kurt was a demo junkie – I’m sure he had stuff down for his scheduled session with Stipe before he was murdered (yeah, he was murdered). I’m sure we’ll probably have to wait for the In Utero remaster for more

Anyway – the concert is intriguing because it’s been claimed as the only full concert of Nirvana’s that was filmed – on actual film – thus could be remastered for Blu-Ray release – and with only the DVD as a part of that 5-disc box – why cough up the scratch for it if you can get the concert separate on a “better” format?

Yes, I would LOVE to have the concert CD – as I’d get far more use out of it - but NOT $110 love...

I refuse to speak for Kurt – but I know the over marketing of his works makes me sick - and I’m not sure if it’s in the spirit of that era in music to gouge the fans like this – but that’s business – every other Christmas have some “new” Nirvana repackaged bobble to sell.

If it bothers you so much - why are you going to buy the 2-disc set? Well, I'm a big fan - and one of my favorite tracks from off the box-set is the Breed (rough cut) - which was so brutal and wonderful so I'm hoping for some more remastered rough cuts... Plus, I'm a sucker...

No comments:

Post a Comment