Friday, October 8, 2010

Disney

“You’ve just posted a whole mess of movie blog entries at the beginning of the year – then dropped the ball when something else caught your fancy – what are you going to do, cblaze?”

“I’m going to Disney World!!!”

It’s true – I’m off to Disney World in the following weeks – but you know what guys? I can’t say that I was ever a fan of Disney movies... It’s weird. I thought this would be an easy post – but when I started going through Disney films in my head I suddenly realized - I was never really a Disney fan as a kid. It’s not like I didn’t see a whole mess of them – as my siblings couldn’t get enough of them – we still have a huge VHS library. Even these days – the best Disney films are from the Pixar studio – which we all know has really has nothing to do with Disney.

I grew up a Jim Henson fan – his studio was bought by Disney and mishandled – sold – then repurchased. I liked Star Wars, Pee-Wee Herman, Charlie and the Chocolate Factory and the Three Stooges – but not Disney. I didn’t really care for the Looney Toons growing up, either now that I think about it – but watched it mostly because that’s what was on.


I didn’t cry when Bambi’s mom was shot. I didn’t feel a sudden happiness when Dumbo learned to fly and was loved by everyone. I wasn’t really fascinated by Alice’s trip through Wonderland. I wasn’t held breathless as the Prince fought the dragon to save Sleeping Beauty. I wasn’t clapping when Captain Hook was gotten by the ticking croc. Fantasia was an awesome sleep aid. I didn’t want to tap my foot along to Mary Poppins and her annoying fucking songs that got ingrained in my head...

Sure, I appreciated them for quality entertainment – nothing Disney put out seemed like pure shit – but could’ve been watching infomercials and been just as happy. I realize that Disney focused a lot of their stories around Princesses – and growing up a boy it was hard to identify with pretty pretty princesses finding true love... That is until the Little Mermaid came along at that interesting stage in my developmental years – and I watched strangely perplexed at her half-nakedness.


Did I grow up more cynical – not being a Disney kid? Why was I offered a job at Disney (that I ended up regretting turning down) – if I didn’t grow up a Disney kid? Was there something about me that is inherently Disney anyway? Is Disney ingrained in our culture to be everything that’s both right and wrong about it?


You know what cartoon movie I was held captivated by? The Secret of Nimh – I couldn’t understand that film – it disturbed me but intrigued me. It was an interesting complex story – that was presented to kids – but was obviously too complex for kids.



Oh – and the original Hobbit cartoon – I thought that was infinitely cool. That was by far my most favorite cartoon film growing up. I loved the art work of it all – and the folksy kind of feel to it. It offered real thrills and a darkness that I was drawn to.

Neither of these fit into the Disney feel of films – but it kind of goes to show that I wasn’t turned off by cartoon movies.

But as my trip approaches – and I think about the fun that will be had with my family and on the rides – I can’t help but wonder a bit...


Did I miss something not growing up a Disney kid?

No comments:

Post a Comment